40% paddy crop of deceased Balangir farmer damaged

November 13, 2009 at 5:17 pm Leave a comment

Following is a report from The Pioneer:

Preliminary reports suggest that at least 30 to 40 per cent of paddy crop of Baldev Barik, the farmer who committed suicide, were damaged by pest attack, said Revenue Minister Surjya Narayn Patro speaking to mediapersons on Wednesday evening after presiding over the district Planning Board meeting here.

The deceased farmer besides cultivating in his own land had also taken others land on sharing basis, he said further. The district administration has given an assistance of Rs 10,000 to the family and widow pension to his wife, the Minister informed.

“Every year the crop cutting report is usually available by January. This year I have asked the departments to prepare and submit the report by November 15 so that necessary action is taken. We are waiting for the final report Minister,” said further.

As per the relief code compensation is given to farmers. If the crop loss of a village is more than 50 per cent, Rs 4,000 compensation is given per hectare. In case of non-irrigated land, the compensation amount is Rs 2,000 per hectare.

Rs 26.40 crore planning for assistance from Backward Region Grant fund was approved for the district, informed the Minister.

The approved plan would be sent to the Centre out of which 30 per cent would be spent in the urban areas and the rest 70 per cent in the rural areas. Besides this, Rs 1.50 crore for each 14 blocks have also been approved from Biju KBK Yojana. Out of the Rs 1.50 crore, 50 lakh for each block have also been approved. Out of the 3,641 people applied for pattas under the Forest Rights Act, 2,640 people have been given pattas and forest land of 1520 hectares has been given. So far the revenue collections of the district have touched 60.54 per cent.

A total of 3,135 encroachment cases have been registered in urban areas while 1,898 encroachment cases have been registered in the rural areas, the Minister informed further.

Entry filed under: Agriculture, Agriculture and Irrigation, Farmer Suicide.

Demand for ESI Medical College in Rourkela continues Odisha state govt. to open more schools

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Categories

Feeds

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 463 other followers


%d bloggers like this: